Image Map

Saturday, June 29, 2013

"Flag"

Today's gift is "flag".

Well, we started our 1300 mile journey today to visit my dad and step mom (aka Popo and Gamma). Thankfully all three of my kids are super car travelers!  And because of my daughter with Rett Syndrome driving is so much easier for us.

Needless to say we took plenty of breaks to stretch our legs.  A couple of these stops were at different welcome centers along the way.  As you may know the welcome centers not only have the American Flag, but also the State Flag.  We saw FIVE state flags today!

My daughter loves looking at flags.  The first time she said the word "flag" she was in preschool.  Since then she will say the word when she sees a flag.  There are times when the cat has her tongue and she will not say the word, but will stare at them.  She loves watching them sway in the wind.

As soon as she saw the flags today she started pointing and saying "flag".  At one of the welcome centers my son picked up a bunch of local magazines to look at in the car.  Usually I don't like have extra 'stuff' in the car when we already have enough, but today I let him as they have to be entertained for 22 hours!

My daughter saw one on the floor in the car, picked it up and started flipping through it.  She kept pointing out all the flags and saying "flag" to her sister.

I was so proud of her for showing us something that she likes in a magazine and in person and using the appropriate word too!  While this gift may seem little or insignificant to you, it is big for us.  Seeing her communicate with her sister in the backseat the best she could was beautiful to see.  I love little moments like these which really make you appreciation the little things!

Here is a quote for today....in honor of our American Flag...

The land of the free, the home of the brave- Francis Scott Key

No comments:

Post a Comment