Image Map

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Being Proud

Today's gift is being proud.

I received one of the most heartfelt emails today from one of the mother's in my oldest daughter's class.  It was one of the emails you read over and over and over again....because it makes you feel so good and it makes you feel so proud of your daughter.  It is one of those emails you want to keep reading....just because.

Here is the email:
My son and I had a long discussion about your daughter yesterday morning.  He was talking about how she was in his first grade class and what he remembered (they are in 4th grade this year together). It was so cute, he said "Mom, she is definitely the most famous student in our school with Autism" (she spends part of her day in the classroom for students who are autistic since Rett Syndrome is on the spectrum).  He wanted to know her first word that she spoke and we listed all the words that she says.  He wanted to know when she was diagnosed and what happened.  He also was fascinated that she was developing typically and then regressed.  His interest was surprising to me.  He is not a very social kid, so it was a fun discussion to share with him.

Can you see why, I would want to read this over and over again?  I am so proud of all my daughter does everyday....from trying her hardest in school....to teaching her peers all about her, in her own special way....to seeing the difference she making in other children's lives by prompting them to open up to their families and ask questions.

This afternoon, my middle daughter said, "Mom, E in my class said he lived in C's cul-de-sac.  When I asked him if he knew M who also lived in the same cul-de-sac, he said yes and asked me how I knew her.  I said she is friend's with my sister.  Then he said A is your sister"?.....And my daughter who was having this conversation said, "yes"....to which he responded, "I have been on her webpage and really like it".   My middle daughter couldn't believe it and you could see how proud she was to hear him say these words!   She is one of the biggest advocates for her sister and always will tell you like it is with her....so she loves to hear when someone else is taking an interest in her sister.

I could not have planned either of these stories if I tried.  When my middle daughter told me her conversation this afternoon, I just knew these were my "true" gifts for today.  These are the stories you always love to hear as a parent.....these are the stories I could hear every day....these are the stories which make me prouder and prouder of my daughter.  Emails and conversations like these show me she is making a difference in the world...one friend and one "gift" at a time.....and I couldn't be prouder!

Here is a quote for today....

She knew that she was formed by God's hands, dreamed up in His heart and placed in this world for a purpose- Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment