Image Map

Thursday, August 30, 2012

A "typical" meet the teacher day!

Today's gift is a "typical" meet the teacher day.

Guess what we did this afternoon.....we went to school to meet our teachers for this year!  It is going to be another great school year...I can just tell.  Every time we walked into one of her classrooms, she would sit down on the comfy chairs like she owned the place and make herself right at home!  She made her rounds from classroom to classroom, saying hi to all her teacher and friends, just like every other student.

Our whole family went as I needed assistance...between the three kids...three bags of school supplies....meeting the teachers...organizing their desks....purchasing "extras"....I just needed an extra set of hands.  My husband came with me this year and I was so thankful.  However, it was so crowded...I hope he doesn't remember this next year....as I really liked him being a part of this with us!

My favorite part of today was all the kids running up to my daughter (the one with special needs) and saying hi and asking how her summer was...it was like she was a super star at school!   I could hear numerous times, "mom look there is AC"......."look there's AC"...."hi AC".....and the smile on her face said it all.  She was grinning ear to ear!  When she wasn't with me, but her dad, her friends would come up to me asking where she was!  She absolutely loves school, no doubt about it and I know she was excited to be back.

It wasn't just the students but the teachers as well...."there is AC", "how is my sweet girl", "I see AC"....greeting her with open arms.  And let me tell you she has eyes like a hawk!  When she spotted her favorite teacher in the hall, she made a beeline for him....and then didn't want to leave his side!  It was so cute to see!  I hope he knows when she leaves for middle school in two years, he has to go with her there too!

I am beyond thrilled as 3 of her 5 best friends are in her class too....this is huge!  Every year I get nervous thinking none of her friends will be class with her, but this year 3 of them will be with her again....and I couldn't be happier!  This in itself, will help her to have an outstanding year by having her friends who understand and believe in her, right by her side.

Of course, my other daughter had a great time meeting her teacher too and seeing her friends...but this is to be expected...right.  She got the teacher she wanted and two of her best friends are in her class, so she is one happy little second grader!

My daughter has taught so many people at her school what students like her are capable of...if you believe.  Every year when I walk into her school, I feel like more and more people have been touched by her story and you can feel it in the air (I know this sounds cheesy...but I truly feel this way!).   My daughter has believers today....teachers and students alike....and I know she has made a difference in their lives, as well as, they have made a difference in hers.

Here are some quotes for today...

Nothing is impossible.  The word itself says, " I'm Possible"- Audrey Hepburn

If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn- Ignacio Estrada

Believe in the power of believing in yourself- Sandra Magsamen for Girl Power 2 Cure, Inc


No comments:

Post a Comment