Image Map

Friday, August 24, 2012

Waves

Today's gift is waves.

If you ask my kids what is the first thing they think of when they hear the word "waves", they probably will tell you ice cream, as the place they love to go get ice cream at the beach is Waves.  When I think of the word "waves" I think of the ocean. 

Today is our last day of vacation for the summer before school starts and sadly it was a rainy day.  However, as soon as the rain stopped we were on our way to the beach to sit in the sand and watch the waves crash one more time before we go back home.  While we were not in our bathing suits on the beach....it was a little chilly....being in shorts and sweatshirts/long sleeve shirts didn't stop us from having fun....or getting in the water like my son did!

I love nothing more than sitting next to my daughter on the beach and watching the ocean.  I love everything about the ocean water....the smell, the color (depending on where you are in the world), the salt (especially for any cuts or scratches as it heals them faster), and the sound of the waves crashing on the shore.  The ocean is mesmerizing.   You can be in the worst mood in the world, but as soon as you sit down on the beach and watch the waves crash on the shore and the water move in and out from the shoreline, you slowly forget why you were feeling upset in the first place. 

My daughter could look out at the ocean all day....she loves watching the waves and I think she is truly trying to figure out how they move...especially when she is sitting on the edge of the ocean with her feet in the sand.  I feel like when she is looking out at the ocean she feels at peace and I only wish I knew what she was thinking about.

When I look out at the ocean and watch the waves I think about everything I have going on in my life and the water helps me think clearly.  The constant movement of the water reminds me, no matter what challenges life hands me, I will be okay and life will carry on.  There may be bigger obstacles in my life at times, just like there are rougher waters in the ocean during different times, but eventually the waters will become calm again.

The ocean is the one place our family visits and instantly we feel relaxed.  The ocean is a special place to our family where we share one of nature's simpliest gifts year after year.  The ocean always heals the soul.

Here are some quotes for today....

The cure for anything is saltwater....sweat, tears or the sea- Isak Dinesen

I have always loved the beach.  The smell of the salty water, the wind in my face, the gentle roar of the waves all combine to create a sense of peace and calm- Anonymous

At the beach, life is different.  Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment.  We live by the currents, plan by the tides and follow the sun- Anonymous

I could never stay long enough on the shore; the tang of the untainted, fresh and free sea air was like a cool, quieting thought- Helen Keller

The waves of the sea, help me get back to me-Jill Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment