Image Map

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Don't sweat the small stuff

Today's gift is don't sweat the small stuff.

If you have been following my blog, then you know that I have made references to the fact that my daughter is a "swiper" and likes to get my attention "rearranging" things in the house (my post about Laughter).  I like to let my daughter move freely around the house and to be able to roam about without me having to be on her constantly to pick up what she has "rearranged".   If I did this all day (and trust me I have) I would get nothing accomplished and it is rather frustrating....for both of us!  Can you imagine if someone walked behind you all day....constantly....it would drive you crazy.

This is what I have to keep telling myself, when I want TO "sweat the small stuff".  I don't want her "rearranging" and throwing things down to make it look like a tornado has gone through the house.  I don't like the house looking so messy, but also I don't like having to pick up the majority of it.  This is an on going battle we have and some days are much better than others.  However, lately my daughter has decided to knock it up a notch and go for the bigger and heavier items....pictures hanging on the walls!

After two fell and luckily didn't do any damage to her foot when it dropped (but the poor wall took a little beating), I decided I had to stop "sweating the small stuff" and make the right decision....thanks to Poppy...aka my dad.  I had to decide....do I want to keep following her around like bees on honey OR let her roam and know for the most part the house is going to be ok.  I decided letting her have her freedom was more important than my house being "perfect".  So,  I could have no pictures on the walls....which isn't an option to me or I could nail the pictures to the wall (the heavier ones that tacky putty would not hold up) so she cannot knock them off the wall risking a broken foot.

Today, my dad helped me make sure that all my pictures hanging on the walls were "Pookie Proof" (we call my daughter Pookie).  She was not around when we did it and I wish I had taken a picture of her face when she rounded the corner, looked straight at me and tried to swing the picture on the wall.  She was used to swinging it with such force, that when she went to move it, her hand actually slid off the picture since she wasn't moving it!  The look on her face said it all!

There are other places throughout the house where we have had to make things "Pookie Proof" as to make sure she still can be comfortable in her own home.  Everything that has meaning and memories attached to them are up REALLY high and everything else is replaceable.  I don't get the most expensive items, as it could be money down the drain really fast.  I love buying things for the house, but now I just buy things that can't be broken easily or if they do break, they can be replaced without breaking the bank.  I don't want my other two children to feel like they don't have a place for their "possessions" so in order to protect what is valuable to them they have childproof locks on the door knob going into their rooms so she can not go in uninvited.  Please do not think that they do not let her come into their rooms...this is quite the opposite.  The rule is that we have to be in the room too to make sure that she does not "rearrange" anything of theirs....it is only fair.

Her gift to me not only has helped me within our home and the examples I have given to you here, but also in all aspects of my life.  This gift has really taught me to look at the important things in life and realize there are many things that are not worth stressing over at all.

I know in her head she is planning on the next area of the house she can start "rearranging" since we have taken away some fun....it is almost a game to her.  But let's hope she decides that we will always win and to give up!

Here is a quote for today....

Do you remember the things you were worrying about a year ago?  How did they work out?  Didn't you waste a lot of fruitless energy on account for most of them?  Didn't most of them turn out all right after all?- Dale Carnegie


No comments:

Post a Comment