Image Map

Monday, August 13, 2012

The little things....#1

Today's gift is....the little things....#1

I am numbering this as #1, as I am sure that within the next year, there will be another "little thing" that she will do that will be my gift for the day....(there really are two for today!)

I love the moments that we share (or those I witness with someone else in our family) that are not planned, but just happens.  Today there were two "little things" that my daughter did and had I not been paying attention or if I was not around then I would have missed them both.

The first "little gift", was she was sitting next to my mom (aka Mimi) on the sofa looking at her yearbook and pointing out pictures of her friends (and yourself) to Mimi.  Then half way through their time together, my daughter leans over and puts her head on Mimi's shoulder and stays like that for a long time.  My mom called my name, so I could see my daughter like this, as it was one of those moments that you don't get to experience too often when your kids get older.  But for us to experience this with her today was a little bit more meaningful as she has been on the go go go and not wanting to sit still but for more than a second!  To see her actually "relax" was very refreshing!  I wish that I could keep my kids little and innocent forever as I love moments when they WANT to sit down and curl up next to me, but we know that can not happen.

The second "little gift" is this evening we were upstairs in my bedroom getting ready for bed.  She was saying "mommy, mommy, mommy" over and over again....which she says often.  But at that moment I knew that the "mommy" sounded a little different so I looked up at her.  Then she said "daddy" and pointed to a picture of the two of on my dresser.  I said, "you are right that is daddy".....and then she said "mommy" again!  She was telling me who was in the picture!  I loved it!  Had I not taken the time to really pay attention, I would have totally missed that she was communicating with me about a picture she was looking at!  Right next to our picture, there is another picture, so I asked her, "and who is next to mommy and daddy" and she said "me"....and she was absolutely correct!

To most people, times like these seem "little" and they are....but to someone who has a child who is considered nonverbal for the most part (even though she has words) they are huge!  I love all the "little things" she gives to me as they are what help me get through the rough days.

Here are two quotes for today....

Everyone is trying to accomplish something big, not realizing that life is made up of little things- Frank Howard Clark

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory- Unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment