Image Map

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Happiness

Today's gift is happiness.



I was greeted with two happy girls when I picked them up from school today! I knew they must have had a great day....and nothing could have made me happier. There is always a certain feeling I get on the first day of school....filled with "what ifs" (and of course they are the "what ifs" I have no control over)...and to see my girls bouncing out to the car put all those "what ifs" to rest.

Yes...both of my girls came bouncing out! This alone made me beyond happy to see, as we ended the school year in June with my daughter still in her "cruiser" from her tendon surgery. Everybody at school was thrilled to see my daughter up and about....watch out here she comes!

My daughter's teacher said she had a wonderful first day back and was ready to get to work....love it! She was all smiles when I asked her about her day....and when I asked her how her day was she responded, "good!" I know she was so happy to be back on a routine.

I love hearing about my children's day and I wish my oldest could tell me about hers....with her own voice...like her sister does. Of course, I know what types of questions to ask in order for her to answer using one of the 70 words she can say...and of course she can use her iPad to tell me. But I want to hear it from her....I want the nonstop...detailed version of every part of her day down to the last second. Yes, I just said I wanted her to be a chatterbox like her sister....who we often tell to be quiet as she talks too much. However, it doesn't stop her...must have inherited it from my side of the family...and I (we) would NEVER tell our daughter with Rett syndrome to stop talking! She can talk all she wants, whenever she wants...and when (yes I said WHEN) the day comes for a treatment I want her to not only tell me all about her day....her wishes...her dreams....her likes and dislikes....I want her to read to me like I always do to her.

Once we got home and settled down, we had snack together and looked at all the school notes they brought home. My middle daughter said something (so sorry forgot what it was and it isn't the point of my story) to which I replied back...and then realized my answer didn't make sense and said, "duh". Right back at me, my oldest daughter repeated "duh" .....and we laughed! She loves to imitate and it makes her so happy knowing she can overcome a great challenge...like apraxia. She makes me so happy....all of the time of course....but especially when she responds appropriately to a situation!

But the biggest moment of happiness for me today was when my husband walked in the door....not because he walked in and I was ready to say "tag your it"....too soon, in about a week (just kidding!)...but of the 100% total appropriate reaction from my daughter. He walked in and my son was in the kitchen to see him first...and ran over to him, saying "Daddy". Then my middle daughter jumped off the chair in the family room and ran into the kitchen saying "Daddy"..and tried to start talking about her day...( let him walk in the door first). And then came my oldest daughter....running...gallop style....from the playroom (where she was flipping through a book!)...into the kitchen right into Daddy's arms..and said the biggest "DaDeeeee!". Melted my heart and made me so happy...for her...for him...for me and for our family. It was a beautiful moment!

So without a doubt, I think my daughter had a fantastic day and she was happy! It goes without saying she brought pure happiness to me tonight....this is a memory I will remember for a long time!

Here are some quotes for today...

Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings- Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love

Happiness is not a journey, it is a destination- Ben Sweetland

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony- Mahatma Gandhi

Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present- Jim Rohn

We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have- Frederick Keonig



No comments:

Post a Comment