Image Map

Friday, July 12, 2013

Getting Her Point Across

Today's gift is getting her point across.

Even though my daughter can not communicate verbally, she has many ways to get her point across. As you know from previous posts she will use the words she can say to request something she wants.  But not all the time.....like when she can not verbally express the word she wants to say.

Frustrating.  I can't even being to imagine.  I think we should all try it for one day.  To live in her shoes. I bet we wouldn't make it an hour.

If she doesn't have the word she often will use gestures or actually get the thing she wants.  If I had to pick a favorite gesture she uses to get her point across, it would be how she indicates she would like her legs rubbed....like she did tonight.

She waits for you to sit next to her and within minutes she will throw her leg over on top of your lap, pull her pant leg up (if needed) and point to her leg.  If you stop, she will wiggle her leg or make a sound to indicate she wants you to continue.  She really cracks me up.

I know where she gets this gene from...me!   I love a good massage!

Even though there are many ways for her to express what she wants, there are many days we are still left in the unknown.  The days we are lost are often the times we wish we understood or could help her the most.


Here is a quote for today...

I know it's been tough, but I'm still cheering for you...always...- Author Unknown




No comments:

Post a Comment