Image Map

Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Little Things #11

Today's gifts are the little things #11.

When you have kids and you are away from them it is so hard not to think about or talk about them. It can be anything from a song you hear reminding you of them, another child you see doing something they do or just the fact you can picture them with you enjoying the place your visiting too.

This afternoon as I was sitting in the sun looking out into the water of the Chesapeake Bay I couldn't help but think of my three kids and how they would love it here. Each one would love different things showing their personalities. And it is often at these times when I tend to feel upset for my daughter with Rett Syndrome and how I wish she could enjoy everything like her siblings.

There is something incredibly relaxing about the water. It helps clear my head and truly helps me think. I was having all these thoughts run through my head of how if we brought all the kids here there would be some things my daughter couldn't do which my other two would want to. And then it is a case of divide and conquer....which I don't like....but a concept we know all too much about. But just as I was thinking this out in the water comes a mom on a paddle board with her child sitting on the front.

It was then that I reassured myself, a trip is what you make it. Everything we do has to be altered some way, but it doesn't stop us from going and doing. Of course it would be ten times easier if Rett wasn't in our life, but it is. And we don't take for granted what we are able to do.

So if we have to divide and conquer at times...so what. At least everyone is having fun. The most important thing is we are together and enjoying the moment.

When I saw the mom with the paddle board, I couldn't help but wonder if my daughter would sit on it with me. I don't know why not as she has an unbelievable core. And of course she would be sitting in front of me with a life jacket on....and I would have someone else near by. It is something I would love to try with her....as you never know until you try.

My daughter has definitely taught me how to make the best of a situation. She has taught me to appreciate what is truly important in life. She has taught me to try new things and be adventurous. She has taught me to live life to the fullest. And all of these values I try to apply to our life together...and it has made all the difference!

Here are two quotes for today...

Change your thoughts and you will change your world- Author Unknown

Embrace imperfection, it's a sign you're not afraid to try new things- Author Unknown

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment