Image Map

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Outsmarting me

Today's gift is outsmarting me.

You know the tv show, Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader ? Well, if I was ever a contestant on this show, let's just say I would not last long! I'm not going to lie, I was the type of student who would study for a test and as soon as the test was over, I would forget the information. So it is fun "learning" everything again with my kids, LOL!

This afternoon I was going over homework with my daughter who has Rett Syndrome. She has multiple study guides to review before she has to take her tests on the material. One of the units we were reviewing this afternoon was the Water Cycle.

I was going over the Water Cycle with her and asking her questions, one being "what is the first part of the water cycle"? I gave her three choices to answer with....condensation, evaporation, and precipitation. She kept pointing to evaporation. And I kept asking her, if she was sure.....to which she kept pointing to evaporation. Thinking she was incorrect, I looked down at my notes....as it has been a long time since I even thought about the water cycle...to find she was absolutely correct! I was outsmarted by my 4th grader!

When I told her how proud I was of her for sticking with her answer and proving me wrong, she had a smirk on her face. She blew me away! She never stops amazing me.

Next time I go to review her homework with her, I think I will review the materials first to know what I am talking about! This gift is proof to never underestimate the knowledge of your children, verbal or nonverbal.

Here are two quotes for today...

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence- Helen Keller

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of a good teacher- Temple Grandin

 

No comments:

Post a Comment