Image Map

Monday, October 1, 2012

Independence

Today's gift is independence.

Isn't it odd my daughter is giving me the gift of independence?  This is what I dream for her....every single day.  However, on our journey with Rett Syndrome, she has taught me not to take my independence for granted.

Every step you take, every move you make,  is your body's way of showing your independence.  Whether it is walking, running, climbing, getting a drink, eating, brushing your hair, taking a shower/bath, you name it....it is something you can do without the assistance of someone else.  This isn't the case for my daughter.  Most everything she does, requires assistance from us to help her complete the task.

This afternoon she showed me what independence is all about!  We are very blessed she can communicate verbally some wants and needs, one being "cup" when she is thirsty and she can hold her own cup or by saying "cracker" or "more" when she is hungry.  However, today she took it to a whole new level!  

She walked into the kitchen....opened the refrigerator....and grabbed some grapes out of the bowl which was full of grapes and then shut the refrigerator!  I was so proud of her!  I know she was excited to see me so excited, because she proceeded to do this about 5 more times!  But then I don't think she was happy because I was happy, but because she was happy with herself for doing something we all do in this house every day.  When we are hungry, we open the refrigerator and grab something in it.  And she did the same exact thing!

I enjoy seeing my daughter be independent where she can.  Depending on the situation, the skills to carry out these tasks we take for granted require lots of practice, but eventually she does it.   Today it was grapes, I wonder what it will be tomorrow!

Here are some quotes for today.....

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble -Helen Keller

Life is either a great adventure or nothing- Helen Keller

Never, never, never give up- Winston Churchill




1 comment:

  1. Wow... that is so amazing, SOoooo pleased for you, I love reading your posts by the way, it makes me smile & gives me so much hope, your daughter seems very able, is this the first blog you have written, or do you have anything I could look at from her earlier days.......

    Lots of love.... Janie

    ReplyDelete