Image Map

Sunday, December 30, 2012

An Appropriate Response

Today's gift is an appropriate response.

I love it when I ask my daughter a question and she responds immediately back to me. I know she understands what I am saying to her at all times. So times like these just confirms what I know!

Tonight at dinner I was asking everyone if they liked the new raviolis I made and without hesitation (and a bite full in her mouth) she gave a loud "YA" which is her "yes". I said, "thank you Pookie". And then everyone else gave their seal of approval too!


I know she really liked the new pasta dish without a doubt as she was asking for "more" before she was finished with the bite in her mouth!

Having "typical" moments like these with my daughter makes me feel like a "typical" mom. More importantly, having "typical" moments like these just re-iterates to me she is just fine inside her beautiful mind! Unfortunately, it is hard for her to come out of her shell sometimes due to her living with Rett Syndrome. Having moments like these is one of the many reasons why we must continue to fund research to find a cure (which for those of you who do not follow Rett Syndrome research updates, research has come a long way in a short amount of time and they are so close to treatments or a cure!).

I want to have lots of true "typical" moments with my "typical" child one day. If it is when she is 16, 26, 36...whenever....I just want to have them with her, without Rett Syndrome getting in the way!

Here are two quotes for today...

Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can- Sun Tzu

Maybe one day we'll find the place where our dreams and reality collide- Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment