Image Map

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Hearing the word "Mommy"

Today's gift is hearing the word "Mommy".

Today was not the first time my daughter with Rett Syndrome has said, "mommy".   I am very blessed with the fact she never lost this word when she went through her regression state.  On a daily basis she will probably say my name at least 100 times, if not more.  And not all the "mommy's" have the same tone in her voice.

This is today's gift because as we were settling down for the night, she just kept saying my name so sweetly. Over and over again. A couple of times they were followed by a giggle or two, but for the most part it was a heartfelt "mommy".

I love hearing her say my name, it is one of the sweetest sounds.  But I have to admit, after the 15th "mommy" in a row, I tell her I hear her, but I'm not going to keep responding right back.  Honestly, she could get to over 60 in 2 minutes! Trust me, I counted and timed it once!

I am truly blessed to be able to hear not only my child's voice, but also to hear her say my name.  So many of my friends who have a daughter with Rett Syndrome or another type of special need where their child is nonverbal, do not hear their child speak or hear them say "mommy". I honestly can not imagine not hearing her say my name as I have heard either "ma", "mama" or "mommy" her whole life.

My heart aches for my friends who would love to hear this one little word.  I pray one day they all hear the one word I know would melt their hearts!  Even though their loved ones can not say it verbally, I know they are telling them in other ways....in ways a "mommy" only knows!  Or a daddy too!

"Mommy" one little word filled with lots of love and one little word I will never take for granted.

Here is a quote for today....

There will be so many times you feel like you've failed. But in the eyes, heart, and mind of your child you are super mom- Stephanie Precourt

There is nothing greater than a Mother's love- Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment