Image Map

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Smooth Morning

Today's gift is a smooth morning.

Smooth, as in, running smooth....no rough patches.

I think I have mentioned once or twice before, all my children, but especially my daughter with special needs thrives on routine. When the kids have a day off from school midweek, this throws my daughter off. Especially, when she only goes to school one day after the weekend and then has another day off...like today.

The days my kids have a day off I hope they sleep in...however this never happens! Today my daughter with special needs actually slept in a little bit, but once she was awake, she just wanted to stay cuddled in her bed and watch tv. Since she didn't have any place to be this morning, I was letting her take her time getting up and hoping this would allow for a nice smooth morning.

I was correct....luckily! By not pushing her and letting her get up on her own, she was happy. I was going to surprise her with breakfast in bed, but she decided she wanted to come downstairs instead.

Throughout breakfast she was just as happy as could be...and this helps in so many ways for us to have a smooth morning. On days my kids have off, my husband still leaves at his normal time, which is why I pray for smooth mornings....as behaviors or rough patches are not fun to deal with alone.

I also had to be out of the house this morning too to go to a meeting, so the smoother the morning the better I felt leaving the kids with the babysitter....and this is one less thing I would have to worry about.

My daughter must have known I needed her to "work with me" this morning. She had a great morning and everything went smoothly. Even my other two children helped me entertain her while I got dressed. I usually only call on them to help me when I can't have my eyes on my daughter and need them to help out for a little bit.

I love watching all my children interact with each other...and play like typical siblings.

On busy mornings, like today, when I need everything to run smoothly, I often think about what it would be like to not have a child with special needs and to not have to worry about behaviors or a child who needs constant attention. I think about how easy life would be for us.

While I wish my daughter didn't have special needs and I pray daily there is a treatment or cure in her future, she is the one person who makes me truly appreciate everything in my life. She is the one who helps me see the good in every situation. She is the one who helps me take it one day at a time.

Here are two quotes for today...

Because when you stop to look around, this life is pretty amazing- Unknown Author

Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart- Winnie the Pooj

No comments:

Post a Comment