Image Map

Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Little Things #4

Today's gift is the little things #4.

The little thing she gave me today was the gift of helping me do chores.  Her brother and sister have a list of chores they have to help with around the house, but she does not.  However, whenever I can have her help me, I jump on the opportunity.

It is an opportunity for her to work on a skill, it is an opportunity for her to feel like she has a "chore" too, it is an opportunity for us to do something together.

Today's "chore" was helping me put towels from the washer into the dryer.  She stood in front of the dryer, I would hand her towels from the washer and she would throw them in.  This was quite a fun game.  I enjoyed seeing her throw some in with force and a giggle.  And of course, if she didn't make it in the "basket" she would have to pick it up and try again.

Something so simple, yet we worked on LOTS of skills.  She had to overcome her apraxia many times...to take the towel from my hand....to throw the towel into the dryer...if she dropped the towel, she had to bend down, pick it up and then throw it in again.  She worked on gross and fine motor skills.  She worked on keeping her hands apart, as I was fast in having the next towel ready.  She worked on speaking as she would tell me the color of the towel...if I knew she could tell me verbally.

Most importantly, we bonded.  We had time together....doing a typical household chore.

Here are two quotes for today...

We sometime underestimate the influence of little things- Charles W. Chestnutt

Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things, I am tempted to think there are no little things- Bruce Berton


No comments:

Post a Comment