Image Map

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Being Decisive

Today's gift is being decisive.

Can you make decisions easily?  Sometimes I can and other times I can not.

A conversation often between me and my husband goes something like this....
Me: "we have a sitter tonight, where would you like to go?"....
Him: "what are you in the mood for?".....
Me: "I don't care, why don't you pick"....
Him:"how about "x"?....
Me: "I'm not in the mood to go there tonight"....
Him:"Clearly, you do care....you pick"....
Me:"But I can't decide".....

However, if I asked my daughter with special needs where she wanted to go to dinner, she would go right to her iPad and tell me not only where she wanted to go, but what she wanted to eat!

This morning at therapy she started with her usual warm up on the treadmill, followed by stretching and then we moved to kneeling exercises and an obstacle course.  When it was time to do her favorite...fly on her stomach from the cage....she was shaking her head no....in a matter of fact way.

We were all surprised as she had been requesting "push me"...this is what she says when she wants to fly.

Then she started running away from everyone in the room....and she had a little game of chase going on.  She knew at this time she wanted to get her sillies out and to not have to work.  She had made up her mind...she didn't want to fly...right then.

We still had 15 minutes left and at therapy no time is wasted.  She was given a couple of choices and she picked to go on the wobble board.  After she worked a little bit more...she stepped off and walked over to the cage where she flies.  When she was asked if she wanted to fly now, she said yes.

She wanted to fly on her time...not when they wanted her to fly.

My daughter always knows what she wants, it is getting the message across to us which is often difficult.

Luckily today, it was easy to see she wasn't ready to fly the first time and she needed to "relax" as even flying is hard work for her, as she uses her own body weight to make herself go back and forth.  She is no dummy...she wanted to play...and not work!

I can not begin to imagine what it must feel like to know what you want to do or say in your head...but not be able to communicate it to anyone.  Here I can verbalize my choice of a restaurant to go to...and I still can not pick a place...not because I can not....but because I'm being indecisive.

When I have a decision to make...whether easy or difficult...I try to just "make it" and move on.

Here are some quotes for today...

It's better to be boldly decisive and risk being wrong, than to agonize at length and be right too late- Marilyn Kennedy

Make up your mind to act decidedly and take the consequences.  No good is ever done in this world by hesitation- Thomas H. Huxley

You can conquer almost any fear if you will only make up your mind to do so.  For remember, fear doesn't exist anywhere except in the mind- Dale Carnegie

Here is a picture of her flying in the cage!

No comments:

Post a Comment