Image Map

Thursday, November 22, 2012

How to be Thankful

Today's gift is how to be thankful.

Of course, I am always thankful for people in my life, when people help me, or when given gifts or acts of kindness.  But to be thankful for deeper things I have been taught from my daughter.  She has taught me there is always something to be thankful for even in the hardest of times.

When my daughter was given the diagnosis of Rett Syndrome I (we) were feeling extremely low...the lowest of lows.  The feeling I had in the pit of my stomach was one I hope I never have to experience again.  After our new "reality" sunk in and we met with her new team of doctors, I finally felt a little more at peace.

It was at this point in our journey with Rett Syndrome I started to look for the silver lining in every situation brought to us.

Today and always I am extremly thankful for the following:


  • I am very thankful our daughter has a mild form of Rett Syndrome and does not have many of the other characteristics of this disorder like many of her Rett sisters. 
  • I am very thankful we have the family support system we do and are able to care for her at the level we can.  
    • I am thankful for my mom and dad who are always there when we need them.  They truly are our life savers!  My mom always knows when I need her...to be there for me (as in I need attention too!) and my dad always puts my family first...and would drop anything to help us.
    • I am thankful for my dad in Texas...he knows when I just need to talk and he always wants to know how I am doing.  I always put my kids first, so it is nice to talk about me sometimes too.
    • I am thankful for my mother-in-law...she helps me almost daily by being an extra set of hands and eyes in the house.  She allows me to be able to get things done when I would otherwise be chasing after my daughter.
    • I am thankful to have both of my grandmothers...I love the fact my children know their great-grandmothers and have relationships with them. 
    • I am thankful for my aunt who is like the sister I never had....
    • I am thankful for everyone else in my family....who have known me the longest and who have shared memories with me along the way...all of you have a special place in my heart.
  • I am very thankful my husband and I have family and babysitters who can watch our children so we can go out for a date night or on vacations together.
  • I am very thankful we have a strong educational team in place and they believe in her.
  • I am very thankful we found the perfect person five years ago to be by her side every day at school and to be the one to show us what our daughter truly is capable of accomplishing.
  • I am very thankful for the amazing therapists my daughter has helping her to be the best she can be.  Their level of enthusiasm and true interest in my daughter is heartwarming to see.
  • I am very thankful for my husband...this clearly wasn't the life we had envisioned together, but I honestly could not imagine anyone else who I would want to be on this crazy journey with....he knows when I need strength, a laugh, a hug, even a reality check...he is my best friend and not only the perfect father for our daughter with special needs, but also for our other two joys
  • I am very thankful for my other two children.  My middle daughter is truly a mini version of me...sometimes this is good and sometimes this is bad...she is sassy, but she is also the most compassionate, understanding, intelligent, beautiful young lady.  My son, he truly completed our family...he is the cutest little boy who has a sense of humor, the kindest heart, is sensitive and is my sunshine in so many ways.
  • I am very thankful for my friends....they know just what I need without me even asking, they understand our family and accept us just the way we are, they want to share in our journey and be a part of something bigger too, their kind words and deeds are what help me on my rainy days.
  • I am very thankful for my health and my husband's health.
  • I am very thankful for my daughter with special needs....if it were not for her, I would not appreciate all the little things in life as I do today.  I would not have been  introduced to some of the most amazing people I know if it were not for Rett Syndrome.  I would not have found the deeper meaning to life.  I thank her for helping me to reach out and ask for help and guidance when I realized I was going to need to strengthen my relationship with God.  I thank her for being her and being patient with me on this journey together.
I am beyond blessed on this Thanksgiving Day.  

Here are some quotes for today....

Every day may not be good, but there is something good in every day- Author Unknown

There is always, always, always something to be thankful for- Author Unknown

No matter how good or bad you think your life is, wake up each day and be thankful for life.  Someone somewhere is fighting to survive- Author Unknown

Look back and thank God.  Look forward and trust God.  Look around and serve God.  Look within and Find God.

No comments:

Post a Comment