Image Map

Monday, November 12, 2012

Motivation

Today's gift is motivation.

My daughter is my motivation...every single day.

I always praise and help her to do her best...as this is all I ask of her...to try to do her best. And she does.

When I watch her in all areas of life...whether it is at therapy, in school, or learning a new skill at home she motivates me.  She gives all she has and never gives up.  She never complains.  She may want a break, but does not complain.

There are many days when I do not want to do something I have to or I should do...and what turns my direction of focus around is my daughter.  I think to myself, what would my daughter do.

This morning was one of those days.

Today I had to start my 15 week training program for the Disney Princess Half Marathon.  Last year I ran this race on the Girl Power 2 Cure Rett Team in honor of my daughter and the other girls who live with Rett Syndrome or who have lost their battle against the Rett Monster.

Last year was my first half marathon and I was extremely nervous.  I had no idea what to expect.  I was honored to have seven friends join me down in Disney to run for my daughter.  I could not give up on my friends....but more importantly I could not give up on my daughter.

Training and running a half marathon was a challenge for me.  I was never a runner and I still don't consider myself a "true" runner.  Throughout my training last year when I wanted to give up....or walk more than run, I told myself...she would never give up....so you can not give up on her.

I could have thought of every excuse in the book not to get out there and run today....but I didn't.  I didn't because I can not give up on the person I am running for...my daughter.  She is what is motivating me to get through this 15 week training program and she will get me through race day.

I could not have asked for a better day to kick off my training...it was beautiful and 65 outside.  I know we are probably in for a rough winter after our mild one last year so I want to take advantage of the nice weather before it is gone.

I am not going to lie...it was tough out there for me as I haven't given it "my all" in a good run since June!  I pushed myself to not give up when I wanted to.  I pushed myself because I knew I could do it.  I pushed myself thinking of all my daughter goes through and how I wish I could make it all better.  And I pushed myself thinking of another life the Rett Monster took away Saturday night.

If I did not have the motivation from my daughter, I honestly can tell you I would have given up on this "running" thing a long time ago.  But thanks to her, I didn't and I actually enjoy it.

I can not thank my daughter enough for being there for me when I need her the most!

Here are some quotes for today....

Discipline is doing what needs to be done, when it needs to be done, when we don't want to do it- Susan Solomon

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start- John Bingham

When you feel like quitting, think about why you started- Author Unknown











No comments:

Post a Comment