Image Map

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Simplicity

Today's gift is simplicity.

My daughter has taught me less is more.  She is the first person who does not need all the "stuff" and is happiest when she just has a few things...the things she truly appreciates and enjoys.

If she was going to be stranded on a island with me, I know what three things she could not be without....her iPad for games, pictures, music and movies; her ball to play with and keep her hands moving; and Connect 4.  These three things would keep her happy and content.

She has taught me how less is more is what it is all about. It isn't about all the material things....but more about the things you can not replace.  It is about your family, your friends, and the memories you share together.

It isn't about having the nicest "things" either...my kids are going to be kids....which means accidents are going to happen, furniture is going to get bumped into by remote control cars, crayons and markers will appear on something other than paper....

They are kids and they want to explore....and I don't want to stop them.   Don't get me wrong...I do teach respect to my kids and how you can not destruct things...but I also do not want them to grow up too fast...I want them to be kids.  They grow up fast enough as it is.

I have actually had to change things in my house as I felt we were too "fancy" for the life we lead now. We live a life where everyone needs to feel comfortable, most importantly my daughter does in her own home.   I want a place where my daughter can roam freely and not worry about her or all the " things"she may touch.  The things can be replaced, her happiness can not.

While there is always a piece of me who wishes we had more....two facts would remain the same....our daughter would still have special needs....and the things which make her happy would be the same.

I do not know what the future holds for us and our family....but what I do know is everything we do for our family will always be simple...nothing too complicated. You can still enjoy vacations, day trips, dinners out, impromptu adventures, homes, cars, etc...by keeping things simple.

I like simple....it keeps "things" real.

Here are some quotes for today...

Being the richest man in the cemetery  doesn't matter to me.  Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful, that's what matters to me- Steve Jobs

It's the sweet, simple things in life which are the real ones after all- Laura Ingalls Wilder

Sometimes the most ordinary things could be made extraordinary, simply by doing them with the right people- Nicholas Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment