Image Map

Monday, November 26, 2012

Just Dance

Today's gift is Just Dance...as in the Wii game.

Like many families we have Wii.  There are some of us who use it more than others.  Those who play Wii have their favorite game.  For instance, my daughter with special needs, her favorite game to date has been bowling.  While she does require hand over hand assistance to play, she really enjoys this game (maybe it has something to do with the ball!).

My favorite game, hands down is Just Dance....1, 2, 3, or 4....I love them all!  Seriously, I can hold my own and challenge anyone who would like to play!

We recently bought Just Dance 4 and the song selections are great.  Of course there is one song my girls love...What Makes You Beautiful, by One Direction.  My middle daughter was dancing to this song this afternoon and my daughter with special needs made a beeline to the playroom to hear this song!

I could have continued with the laundry and had some down time from watching her while she was in the playroom watching her sister, but instead I decided she was going to Just Dance too!  And who am I kidding...I will always give up doing laundry!

I walked into the playroom and instead of starting the song over and hooking up another controller for us to use, I decided to just stand behind her and move her arms to the music and follow the "dancer" on the screen.  She loved every second of it!  She was grinning from ear to ear!  Even though it was three minutes, it was three minutes I will never forget.

I would love to be able to take her to a concert and see them in person....however, I don't know if Rett Syndrome would allow me to.  She typically does not like loud noises....and concerts are loud.  She doesn't like "things" on or in her ears, so headphones or ear plugs are out of the question.  The only options we have for her to be able to see them in person is to either attend a sound check before a show....or to be able to watch a concert from a box...where the noise is muffled some.  Seeing as these will probably only happen with some sort of miracle....they probably will never happen.

A part of me is sad as I see how much joy music brings to her life and how she loves popular artists just like her peers.   She gets extremely giddy just like the best of them when you talk about 1D, especially Zayn!  She is being "typical", but the Rett Monster is not letting her experience "typical" things.

For now, we bring One Direction to her in the form of a Wii game, their concert DVD, and on tv.  The smile on her face is priceless when she hears them or sees them on the screen.  I love how her boy band crush is so typical and how today she was able to experience a typical Wii game with me.  Honestly, I do not think the interest in the game would have been there if it wasn't for 1D!

Just Dance was my favorite Wii game before today and without a doubt after today it will always be my favorite!

Here are some quotes for today.....

If its meant to be, it will be- Author Unknown

Be so happy that when others look at you, they become happy too- Author Unknown

And a funny one too from someecard....
9 out of 10 times children get their awesomeness from their mother


***My blog and blogsy (where I sometimes post from) was having technical difficulties yesterday    (11-25-12).  If you receive my blog daily, then the blog you received via email was seemed like it was a repeat....however, there really is a new blog from yesterday titled Following Directions.  I am going to post it below for you as well in case you missed it.  I apologize for the confusion***



Today's gift is following directions.

This afternoon my daughter was spot on for following directions. No matter what I asked her, she would do it. Something so little, but means so much to a mother whose daughter has special needs.

We took our kids out this afternoon for a treat to their favorite frozen yogurt place, Menchie's. They were having a great day so we decided to surprise them. On our way home, my husband needed to hang our daughter's Wike (also known as her chariot...it is a jogger stroller which can also be attached to the back of a bike), from the ceiling in our garage as it mostly gets used on the weekends. Also, it is getting much cooler here and we want to park both cars in the garage so the kids can have a warm car to get into in the morning.

While he was getting the garage ready for both cars, the kids and I drove around the neighborhood looking to see who put up decorations this weekend. I don't know about you and your family, but every weekend till Christmas we will take the kids out driving around town looking at lights. It puts us in the Christmas spirit!

When we were done driving around the neighborhood, I pulled into the driveway and let my two youngest out of the car first...as it is a tight squeeze in the garage with my big ole' SUV! After I pulled in, turned off the car and got out to get my daughter out of the car, I noticed she had rolled down her window. If the windows are unlocked she loves rolling them down and up, down and up and down and up!

I told her she was silly and we needed to roll up her window. So I climbed into the front seat, turned the key just enough and said, "ok, roll up your window"...and she did....

But I wasn't quick enough in turning off the car and she rolled it down a little bit....and then laughed! So, I asked her again, "please roll your window up"...and she did....and this time I was faster than her and turned the car off before she could roll it down again.

When I got her out of the car, I told her she did a great job following directions and I liked how she was being a little joker too! This is totally something her siblings would have done to me! As we got out of the car, I asked her if she would shut the car door for us so we could walk past the car...and without hesitation, she closed the car door....and no jokes either!

I love it when she has days where everything just clicks"! Today was definitely one of those days. I wonder too if she felt rejuvenated like I did from our sermon this morning at church or if something at church just "clicked" with her too....as this was about the time frame today when I noticed everything was happening just perfectly.

Whatever it was...it was part of my gift today.



Here are some quotes for today...

Every good and perfect gift is from above - James 1:17

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me- Phillippians 4:13

She is clothed with strength and dignity and laughs without fear of the future- Proverbs 31:25

No comments:

Post a Comment