Image Map

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Helping Her Rett Sisters

Today's gift is helping her Rett sisters.

When you enter the world of Rett Syndrome you feel all alone. You are scared. You have no idea what the future holds and thinking of the future seems so distant when you need to figure out the present.

Then you meet others who have walked the path before you and those who are still walking. You realize you are not alone, you realize it is ok to be scared, but now you have someone who "gets it", someone who understands, someone you can talk to. You still do not know what the future holds for you, but you are able to grasp the present and move forward...move forward to handle anything that comes your way.

On my relative short journey in the Rett world (6 years), I have learned it is not only the parents who learn from each other, but our daughters living with Rett Syndrome learn from each other. They give each other hope, encouragement, and inspiration. They know when they meet one of their "sisters"...you can instantly see the connection in their eyes. They need each other, just like the parents of the girls need the friendships of the parents.

Today, I received one of the sweetest messages on my Facebook page from another Rett mom. I know she will not mind if I share what she wrote, as she is one amazing mother, woman, and someone I am lucky enough to call a friend. Here is what she wrote..."Thank you for your encouragement on the importance of friends in X's (keeping her daughter's name private) life...you are SO RIGHT!"

It made me incredibly happy to know someone else is enjoying life with her friends like my daughter and someone is learning from my daughter. I also immediately thought of another Rett sister of my daughter's...the one who was an inspiration to us when it came to forming friendships. We would not be where we are without the inspiration and hope from her and I'm so thankful my daughter can be the same inspiration to someone else.

Here is a quote for today...

A strong woman knows she has strength enough for the journey, but a woman of strength knows it is in the journey where she will become strong- Author Unknown

 

No comments:

Post a Comment