Image Map

Friday, February 8, 2013

Helping with Midnight

Today's gift is helping with Midnight.

I love how much my daughter enjoys her dog. But what I really like seeing is how she wants to try and help with Midnight.

And today she did!

Midnight was outside and wanted to come in as you could hear him whimpering at the back door. I asked my son to open the door for him. When I heard the door open I looked up as I knew my son could not have gotten to the door that quickly. I was right. My daughter with Rett Syndrome had opened the door to let her dog in!

She opened it just enough for him to stick his nose through so she could keep an eye on him. Then she opened the door all the way and he came walking in wagging his tail. But it didn't stop there.

After he came in, she started to walk away too leaving the door open. Then I asked her if she would close the door for me. Without hesitation she turned, walked over to the door and shut it! And then turned back around and went about her business.

This whole gift only took 3 minutes, but it will be 3 minutes I will always remember! I loved watching her interact "typically" with a "chore" pertaining to her dog. Made. My. Day!



Here are two quotes for today...

If you want your children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders - Abigail Van Buren

The greatest gifts you can give to your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence - Denis Waitley

No comments:

Post a Comment