Image Map

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

"pa"

Today's gift is the word "pa".

Tonight we were having dinner a little later than normal as my middle daughter was trying a new gymnastics class. We were hurrying through dinner as I also needed to bathe the kids. We were way off our "normal" schedule. I like to have the kids all showered before dinner so their time with daddy isn't being taken up with showers. However, as my kids get older their after school activities get later, which is starting to make our routine a little rocky.

Oh well...we too shall figure this out. This little bump is nothing compared to the bumps Rett Syndrome has given us!

During dinner I was helping my daughter eat like I normally do. She would say "more" when she wanted another bite and "cup" when she was thirsty. Tonight she did something different. And because I was hurrying through dinner already thinking of the next thing we had to do....I almost missed it!

She was pointing to her dish and saying "pa", not "more". This is huge! She was trying to communicate verbally what she wanted by asking it by name...the best she could. Can you guess what "pa" meant?

PASTA!!!!

When I took a second and paid attention....I was blown away! I said, "absolutely you can have some more pasta"...and she got the biggest smile on her face! And she just didn't say it once, but at least five times! I think someone was proud of herself!

Here is a quote for today...

We would do well to slow down a little, focus on the significant & truly see the things that matter most- Dieter F. Uchtdorf

No comments:

Post a Comment