Image Map

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Rain...is Even Better at the Beach

Today's gift is rain is even better at the beach.

By the title of this post I think you can guess we had a rainy day. It wasn't just a drizzle or a short rainstorm, instead it rained cats and dogs from 8:00am to 3:00pm. We decided today would be a good day to get our shopping done as we wouldn't lose a day in the sun; however shopping would require us to get wet walking from store to store. I knew everyone would be fine with this, but honestly I was a little worried about my daughter with Rett Syndrome.

Usually when we go shopping we push her in her cruiser, but we didn't want to get it soaking wet. Typically if it is raining like it was today, we wouldn't take her out shopping to get soaking wet either. But we decided to take a chance..who knows maybe she likes playing in the rain and puddles. After all we are at the beach, how bad can rain be?!?

We all loaded into the car with our rain jackets on and headed to the shops. Conveniently we arrived right in time for lunch. We were hoping by having lunch first the storm would pass. Wishful thinking...it only rained harder.

The whole time we walked the circle stepping over pools, not puddles, my daughter laughed and giggled. She was having the best time walking in the rain. We would stop and look in some shops and she would prefer to be back outside listening to the rain. The sound of rain truly is beautiful...if you stop to take in the sound.

We were all definitely wet (actually soaked!) and she was the only one who didn't seem bothered by it...she was just going with the flow!

She must have known what happens after a storm passes...the blue sky starts to peak through as well as the sun. As soon as this happened we went and sat on the beach. She loves just looking out at the waves and watching all the birds. And I love watching her.

I love watching her take in nature's beauty. As I watched her on the beach this afternoon I realized how much my daughter just loves the sound of water- whether it is the rain, the waves or the pool...she loves it all. Here I was worried she wouldn't like get soaked in the rain and I was completely wrong.

Today our day started out with rainy weather and it ended with blue skies. We need rainy days to make us truly appreciate the sunny ones. I needed this rainy day to realize my daughter likes to get her feet wet just like any other kid! After all, it's just water!

Here are some quotes for today...

Let a smile be your umbrella on a rainy day- Laurence Welk

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet- Bob Marley

 

No comments:

Post a Comment