Image Map

Monday, April 22, 2013

Trying Something New

Today's gift is trying something new.

This afternoon my daughter added another doctor to her list.  This one is voluntary and was not a necessity.

I decided to try a chiropractor for my daughter.

There are many opinions out there about chiropractors....either you love them or hate them.  I have yet to find someone who is middle of the road.  But each person has to make the opinion for themselves and that is exactly what I am doing....for my peace of mind and for my daughter.

I will say I didn't jump on this decision overnight.  It has been on my mind for a while and I talked to one of my daughter's physical therapists who also has a daughter with special needs.  She shared with me her experience with her daughter and gave me the name of the doctor they used.  I of course want my daughter to be seen by someone who would understand her and the possibility of her getting upset...and I wanted someone who was understanding with the circumstances.

He was great.  He was understanding.  He was straight-forward.  He was patient.  He didn't try to tell me he would be able to "fix her" or "cure her".  He said he would try and make her more comfortable with adjustments and let's see how she does.

I am willing to try just about anything to help her be comfortable and pain-free.  I am willing to do anything to keep her moving.  Where is the harm in trying this?!?

She was fantastic!  As soon as he walked into the room she was all giggles and grins!  She was very cooperative and laid down nicely on the table.  She is so tense and tight it took her a couple of minutes to relax her neck and lay her head down, but once she did....she kept it down.  She let him do the adjustments and he could feel exactly what I told him in our consultation.  All the technical terms he used were the same her therapists were using.

Below are my "non medical" observations from her appointment:

  • once she remained calm, head down, she was very relaxed
  • as he was making the adjustments, at times she would look at me (I was on the floor at her eye level holding her hands) like...what was that...but also with a look in her eyes, that it felt good...felt right
  • she always had a smile on her face
  • she was in a "different" mood after the appointment.....
What I mean about a "different" mood is she was extremely happy....and loving towards me.  It is like if someone does something really nice for you and it made you feel good....that type of mood.  Which made me think and feel her adjustments, made her feel good.

It didn't stop there....her walking was better when we got home...not perfect, but much better.  So much better...she didn't want to stop walking!  This is huge!!  You know she must be feeling better if she didn't want to sit down.  And twice when she was standing WITHOUT shoes on she was flat footed...this hasn't happened in a VERY LONG TIME.

Overall, I am very happy with today's outcome...with his patience, her cooperation and her results from one adjustment.  We are going to try to go once a week for 4-6 weeks and see what happens.  If it helps her with her walking....than it is worth every second and penny!

Seeing her today after her appointment, it truly was like she had a different sparkle in her eye.  Even at dinner, she leaned over to me, grabbed my face, on her own and gave me a big kiss....out of the blue!  I think she was telling me....thank you mommy!

Here is a quote for today...


Don't be afraid to fail.  Be afraid not to try- Author Unknown





© copyright 2012 – All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment