Image Map

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Space

Today's gift is space.

How many of you like your space?  Space where you can escape all by yourself with no interruptions? I know I like mine...whenever I can find it!

I like to just sit sometimes and enjoy the peace and quiet in my house.  With three kids, a husband and a dog it is hardly quiet around here.  And I enjoy when I can "escape" to someplace in the house for some "space".

This afternoon my daughter sat on a chair in my husband's home office/study which is in the front of the house.  She hardly goes into this room other than to walk in and walk out.  I thought she was just sitting there while my mom and I talked in the dining room and she would follow us back into the kitchen when we were done.

But she didn't...she stayed in the chair.

My mom left and I was getting ready to unload the dishwasher.  Before I started I walked over to my daughter to check on her and she was still sitting there.  I told her I was going to be in the kitchen if she needed me.

By the time I was finished unloading the dishwasher and cleaning up in the kitchen about 15 minutes had gone by...and my daughter still had not come into the kitchen.  It was at this point when I thought to myself....let her be.

She needed her space.  If she wanted to walk into the kitchen, she would have.  Obviously she wanted some alone/down time to herself.  Of all people who deserves it the most, it is definitely her!

I can imagine how she would want some "space" in her life.  Because of the Rett Monster she requires assistance and supervision all the time.  She doesn't know danger.  She really isn't too fearful.  She has a high pain tolerance.  Sometimes her walking is unsteady.  She cannot walk up or down the stairs unassisted.  She can not feed, clothe, or do basic activities of daily living by herself.  All of these reasons is why she needs someone with her...always.

I would want my "space" too if someone was constantly on me.  Unfortunately there are not too many instances when we can let her have her "space"; however, in her home there are more opportunities which present themselves...like today.

I was excited for her today that she not only knew she wanted her own space, but was able to enjoy her time alone.  I was equally proud of myself for letting her be....and letting her have this time to think, reflect, listen, relax...whatever it was she wanted to do at that time.  Sometimes I have to look at the situation and think....what would I want if the shoe was on the other foot?  And today, I think I made the right choice....she wanted her own space.

Here is a quote for today....

I think it's very healthy to spend time alone.  You need to know how to be alone and not be defined by another person- Oscar Wilde



© copyright 2012 – All rights reserved
365 Days Gift

No comments:

Post a Comment