Image Map

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Stair Chair

Today's gift is a stair chair.

Well, the time has come.  The time I hate to admit had  to come.  The time where we had to put our pride aside and do what was in the best interest for us....for our family....for our daughter.

We got a stair chair.

You know, the one you usually see in the commercials with the older couple using it to get up and down the stairs.  The one I can honestly say I never thought would be part of my home.

It had to happen.  My daughter was getting to be too hard to walk up the stairs.  I could carry her, but it is not good for me to carry her as she is more than half my body weight and almost as tall as me.   Walking her down the stairs was easier, but still dangerous.

It had to happen to keep everyone safe....everyone who helps us with her care.  The stairs make me so nervous without her walking issues, so with her walking issues it was only a matter of time before someone took a tumble.  And I did not want to wait for that moment.

It was not an easy decision.

We know our daughter has Rett Syndrome.  We do not need reminders about this fact.  I think making this decision to get a stair chair was one of those decisions we knew was right, but didn't want to get it as it was just another slap in the face from the Rett Monster.  It was another way to us the Rett Monster had won.

Well it was installed this past week and there is no turning back.  Have my feelings changed now that it is a part of our family...a part of our life....a part of our home?  Yes and No.

I still do not like looking at it.  It is just a constant reminder of how Rett has taken away yet something else from my daughter.  It isn't the nicest thing to look at either.  But if you know me....I picked the chair that was not leather, so I could change the fabric on the chair to coordinate with the colors in the house. To make it more personal to us....to my daughter.

On the other hand, yes my feelings have changed.  It makes it incredibly easier to get her upstairs now. I do not have to worry about us falling.  I do not have to be afraid.  I do not have to worry about anyone else walking her up or down the stairs.  It is one less thing I have to worry about.  Since Thursday I haven't worried about the stairs AT ALL!  Now this is a great feeling!!!!

And my daughter loves it!  She loves to use her words to tell us to "go up" when we buckle her in.  She thinks it is a mini roller coaster in her home.  My other children love it too!  Though we tell them they can not ride it, as it is for their sister.  This is extremely hard for the youngest one to understand...right now....but he is getting there.  They love to be able to help her up and down now too!





All in all, it was a hard decision, but the right decision.


Here is a quote for today....

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have- Author Unknown


© copyright 2012 – All rights reserved
365 Days Gift

No comments:

Post a Comment