Image Map

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Wike to Bike

Today's gift is wike to bike.

This past weekend I wrote a post about how my daughter loves her Wike, the jogger/bike trailer.   I also mentioned how in the past she has not enjoyed riding bikes.  From tricycles to bikes with training wheels...never interested.

Her therapists have tried many times to get her on a bike for children with special needs...a bike which has been "modified"...a bike with three wheels.  And still she has showed no interest.  In fact on many occasions she has gotten upset and mad.  Because of these instances I have come to the conclusion she does not like riding a bike...and I am okay with this.

However, her physical therapist wants her to keep trying.  Every time her physical therapist mentions it to me at therapy I say, "oh please don't make my daughter upset"!  We then look at my daughter for her facial expressions.  If she doesn't want to get on and is adamant about it, then we do not push her.

Today was a different story.

I heard them talking about trying the bike....and I was in the other room praying she would not get upset if they put her on.  Even her little brother was telling them to please not make her mad.  My daughter even shook her head no.

Instead of asking her if she wanted to get on, one of the therapists got on the bike to show her how much fun she was missing.  She even had my son in run in front of her to pretend she was going to run him over.  This actually got a giggle out of my daughter.  This actual interested my daughter.  My daughter actually got on the bike!

Not only did she get on, she smiled, laughed and pedaled!!!  I couldn't believe my eyes!  We were so proud of her that both me and the therapist were taking pictures of this special moment!  This is a huge accomplishment!

She is trying to catch her brother!

Laughing away!


Looking over at another mom for approval!

So proud of herself!


Will she want to get on it again?  I have no idea.  Will her therapist try?  You bet!  I just hope every time she rides a bike from her on she remembers this happy experience today.

Here is a quote for today....

I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it is going to be worth it- Author Unknown


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete