Image Map

Monday, June 3, 2013

To Modify

Today's gift is to modify.

Until my daughter with special needs was diagnosed with Rett Syndrome, I think it would be accurate to say we did everything "by the book".   We did things "by the book" until "the book" didn't work anymore.

Since my daughter was at least four years old everything she has learned has been modified in one way or another to benefit her.  By modifying life for her, she has taught us there is not just one or two ways to do something, but many.  This skill she taught us has helped us in more ways than one.

For example, I will use my daughter's walking issues which I have mentioned a lot recently.  She wears a brace on her left leg to help keep her heal to the ground.  She is to wear this brace at least 8 hours a day.  I can't even imagine having this piece of plastic strapped to my leg in 90 degree weather!   Since adding the chiropractor into her rotation of weekly therapies, we have noticed her walking has only gotten better.  He is able to work her hip, where she is really tight (which is why she keeps her heal off the ground on the left side) and it has helped her tremendously!  The chiropractor-physical therapy combination is a big bonus right now for her!

We started to notice too that her walking was also better when she wasn't wearing her brace.  But she is supposed to wear it 8 hours a day....what do we do?!?!  We modify what she is doing.  

No one knows her better than those who work and live with her every....single....day.  No one wants her walking like the old days than those who are her biggest cheerleaders!  So we decided to "modify" her brace schedule.  Instead of wearing it every day, she is now wearing it every other day.  And her walking is AMAZING....again!

What works for one patient, may not work for another.  What works for my daughter, may not work for another girl with Rett Syndrome.  This is what makes us all unique.  But I will never know if I never try things for her.  Just like the chiropractor....it had been on my mind for months....and finally I did it!  And boy am I glad I did!

It is okay to modify.  We all learn differently.  We all heal differently.  We are all different.  You never know what may work until you give it a try.

Here is a quote for today....

I would rather have a life of "oh wells" than a life of "what ifs"- Author Unknown





© copyright 2012 – All rights reserved
365 Days Gift

No comments:

Post a Comment