Image Map

Friday, March 1, 2013

Regrouping

Today's gift is regrouping.

Today's gift from my daughter is more of an eye opening experience of how something comes so easily to me, but to my daughter it does not. Not that this was a news flash, but it made me see things differently.

This afternoon my daughter was all over the place...up...down...and all around. It is from times like these where she got the nickname the energizer bunny. She was nonstop and it was truly exhausting to watch...and be on her.

When she gets like this, she can not regroup like you or I, rather she needs help. She needs someone to sit her down on the sofa...sit next to her (sometime with a leg on her to keep her still or in her body soc for some pressure) and help her calm down.

When we get like this, we know we need to calm down and relax and don't need assistance in doing so.

I sometimes get so frustrated with her when she gets like this, but today the experience hit me differently. I always know she can't help it...but it was like the three ring circus today hit me head on and the light bulb went off!

I always help her to calm down when she gets like this, but today it was the fact of how she can't regulate her body...on her own...to even start to calm down that hit me head on.

So instead of waiting and waiting and waiting for her to try and calm down on her own, I intervened sooner to get her to regulate before I lost my mind. And it worked!

Where have I been, right?

I guess since I am always trying to get her to do things on her own, I was always waiting for her to do this too. And maybe she will one day, but in the meantime, I will continue to redirect her before the energizer bunny takes over!

Here is a quote for today....

Holding hands is a promise to another, that just for a moment, the two of you don't have to face the world alone- Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment